Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Friendship: David & Jonathan

Have you ever felt numb? Have you ever ached for the Lord's touch, but you just can't feel Him? That is where I am right now. I have never been here before. I have always been able to feel Him and hear Him. In this season, I am asking to hear, I am asking to feel His touch, but cannot. I am in this bible study where we are seeking the Lord's face through one of Beth Moore's study books called "David, Seeking a Heart Like His." As I finished up this past weeks homework, something in me was moved. "As children of God, we do not have to be DERAILED by the way we feel. Our God is GREATER. Give Him your heart." Those words hit me. I am still on the tracks, the enemy wants me to believe that I am derailed, but NO I am right on track.. chugging along. Even though I might not seem like I am moving very fast I am at least moving right?!

Something else that hit me in this past weeks homework was this, "Jonathan and David were examples of two people knit together by something more powerful than circumstances or preferences. The spirit of God sometimes cements two people together as part of His plan. God would never have chosen David to be His future king if He had not planned to sustain him and ultimately deliver him safely to his throne. Jonathan was an important part of God's plan. They were uncommon friends joined by a common bond: The Spirit of God. [1 Samuel 20:1-42]

When I read this I was filled with a lot of emotions. I was thankful for my bestest friends, I was expectant of God to continue to use these sweet friends in my life. I was hopeful for the ways that He promises to sustain me in and out of the seasons of life I will go through. I was saddened for the loss of deep friendship(s) over the years, I was overwhelmed with brokenness that which breaks the Father's heart. But most of all, I was filled with JOY that He provides and will always provide deep real friends to walk on this earth hand in hand with. Thank you Jesus for: My family, Malissa, Kiely, Kelly, Abby, Kathryn Ann, Devon, Lane, Stacey, Anna, Sarah, Mandi, Katie, Joy, Amy, Kate, Christie, Faith, Kristin, Laura, Hannah, Lindsay, and ALL of my high school friends :)

"Allowing others to speak their fears even when we can't understand is a characteristic of uncommon friendship. Willingness to listen and then let the potential insults pass is not a sign of weakness. It is a sign of strength. The bonds of uncommon friends are deeper than the width of their differences. Uncommon friends can share their hearts without shame. Uncommon friends can be vulnerable with one another and still retain their dignity. The friendship between Jonathan and David was far more than emotion, and it was a safe place to trust and show feelings. They shared a common goal: the will of God. Each life complemented the other. They had separate lives but inseparable bonds."

No comments:

Post a Comment